Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Home Invasion....

So if I could start today over, I would have done things a little differently.  But I cant.  So now that it's almost over I just wish I would have thought to take a picture for this post.

I had a coupon to Sally's that was going to expire so I wanted to use it.  I have a Sally's less than a mile from my house.  So instead of hauling all of my kids with me, I decided to leave them home in the care of my daughter Alyssa.  (Now before you call DCFS on me, my sister in law Michele was 5 houses away working in her yard.)

So I went to Sally's with Adrienne (who also wanted to take advantage of the coupon...I mean really who can pass up an extra 20% off.)  We left our kids to finish coloring get well pictures for the neighbor next door, and also the pictures for their old preschool teacher.  They went across the street to deliver them while we were gone.

When the kids got back from delivering the pictures they noticed the front door was open.  Immediately Alyssa and her friend Lexi got nervous.  Well Brock decided to chime in that he saw a man in his room.  (Now keep in mind he saw the man through the window of the second story.)  So the kids go running to Michele's house in tears that someone is in our house.  Alyssa calls me while she's at Michele's house and tells me Michele is on the phone with 911.  I panic and ask "WHO'S HURT!!!"  and she said nobody, but there is a man in our house.  So I start panicking and I am literally within feet of our street but I have to wait at a stoplight that is NEVER TURNING GREEN.  I pass my house and see my kids, every neighbor kid, and Michele at the corner.  So I drive up to see what is really going on.

Meanwhile literally 12 cop cars (my two neighbors counted and told me) start arriving one after another.  I swear they just kept coming.  We weren't supposed to go near the house until they had gone through it.  So we stayed by the corner.  Now at the same time the million cops are arriving so are ALL of my neighbors...they happen to drive up to me with their windows down wanting to know what is going on.  I want to slit my wrists and climb in a hole because I am mortified at what is going on.

The head police officer starts asking me questions while he's writing everything on the little note pad.  (I feel like a criminal, or just a really crappy parent.)  So they checked out the house and everything was fine.

I went in to make sure everything looked normal...and it did (I should have lied now that I think of it....uhh officer, there was 2 loads of laundry just dumped on my floor...I swear the kids beds were made when I left and the dishes were done...this is just weird.)  But no I claimed everything was normal.  Why didn't I lie when my house looked like a bomb went off?  I swear it's never this messy, but my friend was in town and we were too busy chatting...and saving 20% to clean up the mess.

Anyway the officer starts asking Brock what the "MAN" looked like.  Well Brock goes in to full detail stating that the "MAN" was wearing a black shirt with like, gray sleeves, and then he was wearing blue jeans....hmmm the funny part about this, is there is NO POSSIBLE way he could have seen the man's pants.  So I roll my eyes at the 8 officers who have now gathered around me...I can't believe this is really happening....oh wait yes I can.  So the officers all told me it is better to be safe than sorry and if I need anything to go ahead and call.  (This whole process is over an hour long by the way, so my few paragraphs don't do it justice.)  Meanwhile every TOM DICK AND HARRY is calling my cell phone to find out what is going on.

So after everyone is gone, I am talking to my kids and Brock says "Mom, it maybe could have been my imagination."  WHAT THE CRAP!!!!!  He waits until I've been humiliated by the neighborhood, every cop within a 20 mile radius has made their way to my house and then he breaks the news?  Seriously????   

How was your day???  Do I win parent of the year?

12 comments:

Cyndy Mikesell said...

HUMMM. It sounds a lot like the kid on the green bike who broke our front window!!!! LOL Brock sounds like someone else I know !! wink, wink GENTRY the dad of BROCK :)
What a day for what it's worth Kim and I got a good laugh:)

Heather said...

I am dying reading that story, cause I could totally see my kids doing the very same thing. But, all I could think of was, did the officer's say anything to you about leaving your kids at home alone with Alyssa? I do that all the time and I'm so nervous I'm gonna get busted! I would DIE if something like this happened. Hopefully you got something good at Sally's.

The Hulls said...

Man, I'm sorry Betsy, but I'm totally laughing too... now that it's over! :) And I HIGHLY doubt that your house could ever look like a bomb went off, actually I know it couldn't... mine on the other hand... well, I'm working on it and trying to be more like you!

Annika said...

I would DIE!

So I take it you won't be leaving the kids home alone again any time soon?

P.S. I have already heard a few "different" versions of this around. Gotta love the gossip!

Clements Family said...

Oh man! That is just horrible...I love your whole account of the story. I felt like I was there. Sorry you guys went through that!

The Bullocks said...

LSHIPMP aka (laughed so hard I peed my pants.) sooooo funny. love it.

Nick and Amera said...

Ok, totally should not be laughing, but I am. Im sorry....that is a story to never forget! Your boys always have something up their little sleeves, but in all reality, better safe than sorry! We've all had those days where we thought we saw something!! And lets get real....im sure your house is always SPOTLESS! enough said.

Greg and/or Angie said...

It's good to get the real story. I've been telling everyone in the ward that they finally found your meth lab. I guess I should have waited to hear what really happened. Oh well.

Greg

Johnston Family said...

So, I am with Jess right now & we are both DYING! Jess wants to know if it was the coupon our Madre had mailed to you? If it was, well you can just blame this whole ordeal on her! :)

Andrea said...

Oh man, I would DIE if that happened to me, I'll admit I was laughing, but I was also dying to know if the cops said anything to you about leaving the kids alone, because I leave my two kids home alone and always wonder how much trouble I could get into if I got caught! Glad everything was ok!

Brittany said...

So that's the "home invasion" story.:) That's pretty funny though I'm sure it wasn't for you.:)

carrie said...

Betsy....I have to tell you how much this story made me laugh. I could totally see this happening to me w/my kids. My favorite thing about you is how REAL you are. You say it like it is....and you don't pretend it's any different. That is such a REFRESHING quality....and it makes your blog so fun to read. I'm glad it was an "imagined" invasion! You have such adorable kids and they're just plain FUN. I get so irratated, usually, when my kids do things like this....and this post reminded me to just relax and enjoy it. (sometimes! ha ha) If I can get a giggle out of your kids...then I should be able to get a giggle out of my own, right? ha ha By the way, I love all of your fun pictures from the 4th of July and your visit with your friend. I've told you a million times...but you both should be in magazines. Seriously.... Someday I'll have to pay you to give ME a makeover. :o) You're beautiful and I really do love reading your blog. I'm glad you're having such a fun summer. By the way....when you see your sister, Missy....please tell her I miss seeing her. Matthew told me they might move to Las Vegas, and I'm hoping that's just a horrible viscious rumor.