Sunday, August 3, 2008

Our REALLY REALLY REALLY Long Weekend.



Yes we have had a really long weekend. All three of my kids had their tonsils and adenoids taken out. (Brock also got another set of tubes in his ears.) So needless to say we have all had a hard weekend. (What was I thinking doing them all at once?...Oh ya that it's a good thing, because if I did them separate we would only have one surgery done. There is no way I'd do this again!)

So surgery day we couldn't let the kids eat anything when they woke up, so Gentry the "electrician" tied the doors of the fridge together with electrical wire. (I wish I had a picture of that you'd get a laugh.) We left for the hospital and the kids were all pretty excited.

Before surgery the anesthesiologist asked what flavor the kids wanted to smell in their masks and the kids were excited to pick the flavor. Then it was after surgery our "weekend" started.

Boston woke up happy as can be. He was eating his root beer Slurpee and said. "Mom they didn't take my tonsils out, they just made me smell the grape stuff." I laughed but was glad he came out of happy.

Brock had a hard time and went back to sleep. By the time he really woke up he was ready for chocolate ice cream. He ate two bowls and finished off Boston and Alyssa's ice cream in the car.

Alyssa had the hardest surgery and the hardest recovery. She's been such a sport, but getting her to eat or drink is a challenge. She is really good about taking her medicine though, so hopefully she gets better quick. I know she's excited to get back to school.

Gentry brought the queen mattress from the guest room in our bedroom and set it on the floor. Gentry and I spend the nights on the floor while the kids get our king size bed. (What you do for your kids.)

Hopefully my next post will be a little more cheerful! Thanks to everyone for all the frozen treats and thoughtful calls!

13 comments:

missy :) said...

Hi Betsy! I am so sorry- I didn't know about the surgery until you txted me! I am impressed you've survived! You and Gentry deserve an award! Next weekend you deserve to not have to get sippy cups with juice! I will come babysit! Seriously, I will, that kinda of stuff sucks the life out of you emotionally, and physically!! And mentally you are just toast!lol!:)

Kristin said...

Oh my you guys are brave...hope the kiddos are feeling better and that you get your bed back soon!

Michelle D. said...

YIKES! Hope the kids are feeling better soon. Good luck being nurse-mommy to all 3 of them!

carrie said...

Betsy...First of all, thank you for inviting me to be able to read your blog!! :o)

Secondly, sorry about the lousy weekend!! I hope your kids are feeling better...and that you've gotten some good rest.

Lastly....Did you get your new Breaking Dawn book?? I was wishing we had some cute Twilight shirts like you guys have last weekend. :o) Anyway, I was hoping you'd posted about it!! ha ha Have a great week!!

Cyndy Mikesell said...

Sweet little grankids. So glad they are getting better. Alyssa did great at school today. She is a trooper.
The boys are so darn brave. Well look forward to a great weekend when they all are much better. I am so glad you slept in the same room as them I was worried about it but didn't want to be a nagging mother in law. Why should I worry they have great parents. Thanks for taking care of the loves of my life. Love you guys!!
Mom

C.J.JACK said...

Hey Brock, Boston, and Alyssa, we hope you are feeling better! We feel for you guys all having surgery at once...eeek! Alyssa you look so cute on your first day of school. I really like your outfit too. I'm glad you're going private, Betsy, even though it's a pain...it's worth it. Love you all!

Clements Family said...

I hope your kids are getting better! That is so not fun! Oh...and I am glad we figured out who was from Victor, Montana

Coatsy's said...

Oh my goodness you guys are brave. I though it was bad when only one of my children did it. I hope all is well with you guys and the kiddo's are feeling much better. Thanks for adding me to your blog, so we can keep up. Lots of Love Alicia Coats

The Bullocks said...

oh, I didn't realize you were doing Alyssa as well, poor kids and poor you. that is so draining. I hope you are all feeling better. and I hope you got a chance to read breaking dawn.

Di said...

I didn't know Brock got another set of tubes in his ears. Tyden just got his in May so that makes me nervous. I'm so glad you got to come to the splash pad park. At least your kids ate well and played for a bit. I take it Boston is the one that was posing in the pictures for me since he was happy right out of surgery. I'll post those pics soon.

510Jen said...

You are a champ how did you manage. WOWZERS. I guess why not get them all done at once!

Chereebee said...

WOW - I can't believe you had all 3 of your kiddos have surgery - you are so brave!!

Ashley said...

Betsy-
your kids are still the cutest...tonsils or no tonsils. Gavin had his out all by himself and I thought I was going to die. So I don't know how yah did it.