Sunday, August 17, 2008

What the????




Ok so what do you do when your husband has a toothache and your kids are bored out of their mind? How about throw your kids a "Pretend Birthday". My kids wanted to have a cake, and so I asked whose birthday it was. They couldn't think of anyone, so I asked if they wanted to pretend like it's their birthday. Of course that was the best idea that they have ever heard so that's what we did. I made a cake and (drum roll please) I even had CANDLES!!! That's a first for me. For those of you who remember I had to use a scented Yankee candle for Alyssa to blow out a few years ago, because I didn't have anything else to use. Luckily she was too excited about her party to even notice.

I have to write this or I'll forget it, but we were eating the cake and Alyssa said it was the "Best cake ever", Boston said the frosting was really good, and Brock said "I even like the bread" (He meant the actual cake part.)

One final story. The kids were out in the backyard and they heard the ice cream man coming so they came running in the house to ask if they could get ice cream. I told them no, but they could look through the window and watch him drive by. Brock yells to me "Hey Mom, it's not a bad guy!" (I told them sometimes bad guys drive ice cream trucks) Anyway I thought it was funny cause he was trying to convince me to let them get ice cream.

10 comments:

The Bullocks said...

What a cute idea, and what a cute mom. That would make my kids month to get a pretend Birthday party.

Clements Family said...

I love that idea! I am sure your kids thought you were the best mom! Oh, and I also tell me kids that sometimes bad people drive ice cream trucks...

Johnston Family said...

I think that is the cutest idea, I might have to steal it! My kids would go crazy over that! And that is funny about the ice cream truck drivers, Mike & I have an ongoing joke about the stereotypical Ice cream truck drivers & how they lure kids in with their "ice cream".

Nielson Family said...

I've been slacking, I've missed two of your posts and didn't know it. That was a cute picture of your boys with Elke. I should have done that. The cake was yummy, thanks for sharing!!

510Jen said...

You are a fun mom. Could your kids be any cuter?

The Lind's said...

What a fun mom you are! I bet the "bread" was pretty yummy...that make me laugh.
I agree with ya on the ice cream men. They are pretty scary...but I think I scared Zach a little too much...now he thinks someone is going to take hime with me standing right there...however in LA it's possible! :) Just kidding!

Oh by the way...I HATE private blogs...they don't show up on my google reader! :) How annoying! :)

shannon said...

How cute thats a good idea. It's good to keep the kids entertained hu??? It keeps them from getting into trouble. Well it does mine anyways.

Cyndy Mikesell said...

Wow!! That is saying something for you BETSY!!! An extra party and even candles!!! I am proud of you!! You always do a great job with last minute party plans:) You never disappoint !! How cute are my grandkids HAPPY PRETEND BIRTHDAY!!! Oh by the way we always knew when the ice cream man was on out block we could hear Gentry rummaging the change drawer o find money to buy ice cream from the ice cream man. It's always better from him. I swear Gentry could hear him coming from a mile away.:) Oh such good memories. Kids are so much fun!!! At least you found a candle for Alyssa to blow out!! I remember that too!! So Funny:)

carrie said...

I love your kids idea of a pretend birthday!! It's always fun to have a birthday cake!! :o) Your kids are seriously SO cute....and you're such a fun Mom to play along with the kids like that. They'll always remember stuff like that.

Amy said...

That's such a great idea. You're so creative, I wouldn't have ever thought of that.
Any excuse for cake is a good excuse though!!