Friday, October 23, 2009

DISNEYLAND

About a month ago, my friend Katie told me about this Swine Flu study they were doing and that if you got the vaccination as part of the study, you could earn $415, per person, you do the math. So I was all for it. If you know me, you know I'm a germ-aphobic (to put it lightly) and I hate getting sick. Not that anyone really likes to get sick, but I start sweating and panicking if I even hear about someone I have been in recent contact with that was sick. So needless to say I couldn't get in quick enough to get the vaccine...and ahem, GET PAID for doing it! I called the study and they said they were booked. I was so bummed so I told the girl if anyone no-shows that I could be there anytime. (I was pretty desperate and pathetic, I think she felt bad for me.) So the next day she called and said we could do the study. I told her I would be right there, and I made Gentry leave work early so he could be part of the study.

My whole family ended up being part of the study, and I told my kids I would make them get the shot anyway, but if they got it at the study we could go to Disneyland. So they all agreed to get the shot. (The only problem was I had to convince them to all come back on 5 different occasions for follow up blood draws.) Gentry was the most upset, in fact I do remember a few choice words he used to describe his misery, and let me know how bad he didn't want to come back...but he was a sport and did it anyway.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Alyssa took this picture and was quite proud of it:)

So on to our Disneyland trip. I booked the trip sort of last minute because we decided to go while Alyssa was still off track. We also had so much fun last year at this time that we decided to do it again at Halloween.
Photobucket
We stayed at the Disneyland hotel for the first time. It was really fun because they have Goofy in the entrance to greet the kids. So we got to get some pictures with him.
Photobucket
I forgot Alyssa's swimsuit so I had to buy this little number at Downtown Disney. It will be the most expensive, and smallest swimsuit she will ever own.
NOTE: Don't forget swimsuits...they are ridiculously priced and teeny tiny, if you get my drift.
Photobucket
I have to say the sad part of this trip was realizing that my kids are getting older. This year they didn't care to get the character autographs like they did in the past. Which, well ended up being a good thing because we didn't have to wait in line to see all of the characters. It seemed like we got to go on more rides. So take your kids to Disneyland...they're only little for a little while:)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My mother in law Cyndy came with us, I don't think Disneyland would be the same without her. She's been with us for every trip, and she likes The Tower of Terror as much as I do. We talked all of my kids into going on the Tower of Terror. Brock was the first to agree. Cyndy bought him a shirt saying "I survived the Tower of Terror" and I think Boston was a little envious and that is the only reason he agreed to go. Alyssa however already had a shirt, so Cyndy bribed her with cash...and it worked. Hey anything to get the kids on the rides that we like.
Photobucket
Photobucket

We dressed up for the Halloween Trick or Treat with Mickey. I thought our costumes turned out pretty cute. I stole my idea from my friend Heather for the skirts. It was fun making them and I started trying to get creative with my hat and tie. I don't know why I put so much effort into it, but it was fun. I made the boys capes, and tried to reuse the other stuff from previous costumes. Gentry was quite the artist, he did his and the boys makeup. I was busy trying to get our tickets printed and the guy in the customer service area of the hotel was about as helpful as a toenail clipping. Let's just say, he shouldn't be working in "customer service". I finally had to go somewhere else and start crying to get someone to help me. (Actually the tears were real, I was so frustrated that I started crying.)
Photobucket
We were a few minutes late to the trick or treat thing, but we still got lots of candy. We were exhausted by the time we got back to the hotel. Gentry brought the boys back early. Brock was having a hard time keeping up because he was so excited he got carrots at one of the spots, so he insisted on eating them while trick or treating. (They did not get their appetites from me, I was on the hunt for some good ol' chocolate while my kids were eating apples and carrots.)

Photobucket
We bought little airbeds for the boys to sleep on. They loved them, and asked if they could still use them at home.
Photobucket

11 comments:

Jenni said...

Way cute pictures. We are going over Thanksgiving and it makes me even more excited.

Al and Suzie McInnes said...

What great pictures, what wonderful memories and what fun, fun times. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I loved all your costumes. Mom

Lindsey Stubler said...

How cute! That's fun that they do trick-or-treating there! By the way, we missed you at lunch last week :( But it looks like you guys had a blast. And you're not gonna get the swine flu- so yay!

Cyndy Mikesell said...

Hey I love the pictures. So sad it has come and gone. Thanks so much for inviting me I would have been sad to stay home. It was such fun watching the kids and going on rides and eating candy and, and, and I could go on. Thanks for footing the bill for every meal I ate with you guys and for letting me sleep in a bed and not on the floor. And thanks for making the fabulous Halloween costume. It was so nice not having to make it or worry about it. Anyone reading this Betsy was the designer of the costumes but I am her manager so you have to go through me to get to her. I do have to say our costumes were the best at the Trick or Treat Party. Too bad there wasn't a costume contest we would have won. Thanks again for the trip I had a blast. I owe you big time. (So when do you want me to babysit???) :) :)
Love all of you!
Mom,Cyndy or Grandma (I answer to all:)

The Lind's said...

Seriously how great is that you got the vaccine already and got paid for it!! :) Way to go Katie, she knows all the hookups! I am still trying to find where I can get my shot! LOVE all the pictures looks like so much fun and I LOVE the costumes...way cute!!

The Hulls said...

Oh man that looks like soooo much fun!!! I LOVE your costumes, great job Bets!! When I read the part where it said they're only little for a while I started to get all emotional and I said Nate, we need to take our kids to Disneyland! He just laughed and said our kids are still a little bit younger than theirs. I guess thats true. :) Love you guys and miss you and can't wait to see you all in December!

Clements Family said...

Oh how fun! I am so jealous! Your costumes are great! And how nice that you didn't even have to use your own money for the trip:)

The Bullocks said...

Gentry I better not hear any more lip about those swine flu shots.
I hear you've been watching all those cnn's about it. Now maybe you realize how close to death you really were. j/k. see how lucky you are!!! no flu plus Disneyland.
I love the costumes. thay all turned out so cute. I"m jealous and so was Bailee.

Nielson Family said...

Sorry I've been slacking lately and haven't been on the computer. I knew you'd have some good pictures. Your costumes turned out sooooo good. You definitely should be proud of them. I might have to steal the witch costume idea for next year. I told Ian what you told me about going to Disneyland at Christmas time and for once he actually agreed with me so we are taking the kids to Sea World instead and then we'll plan a separate trip to Disneyland.

Heather said...

So fun! Your skirts turned out so cute!

Allison Bushman said...

How fun! I haven't been there around Halloween. That looks way fun! Your family is adorable and I'm glad you had fun!