Saturday, June 11, 2016

WEST TEXAS INVESTORS CLUB....the taping


Angie and I were able to be on a show called West Texas Investors Club.  We left in January to record the show.  We spent 4 days in Midland, Texas recording.  It was an adventure for sure!  Now that the show has aired I can tell a little bit about the experience.

The day we got there we were picked up by a girl named Laura.  We LOVED her! (Fun tip: Laura WON the Price is Right show case showdown! How cool is that?)  She was such a great host.  Got us all set up and checked into our hotel.  It was almost dinner time and we didn't have a car so Angie and I thought it would be good to stop at Sam's club to grab a few things for our hotel. Since we had a fridge and microwave we decided to buy a case of water and some fruit...and treats of course.  It seemed like such a good idea since it was only about 3/4 of a mile away from the hotel.  What we didn't realize is how HEAVY a case of water is when you carry it for 3/4 of a mile.  Well I'll tell you.  It's AWKWARD and heavy.  My arms were killing but Angie had the box of junk food...err I mean fruit so she couldn't help me cause she was struggling herself.  I'm sure people looked at us and just shook their head. Whatevs, we had water to drink freely...they didn't.
This is the only picture I have of the 3 of us.  We weren't allowed to have our phones for most of the time, so this was us being sneaky :) 

The next morning we woke up and got ready.  Laura was picking us up to go shoot the airport scene.  If you know me, you know I took a selfie of myself and sent it to Adrienne to make sure I looked OK.  She gave me the OK so this is what I wore. I love fringe, so naturally that had to be part of the outfit. Adrienne gave me these feather earrings before I left. She knows my love of feathers.  My friend Lindsay from Brin and Bell gave me the necklace.  It has a "B" for Betsy...and Beddy's.  I loved that it was so simple.

When we went down to the lobby there were 2 other companies waiting to shoot as well.  The rule was we couldn't talk to the other companies or ask them what they were selling etc.  But if you know me, you know I will investigate every detail until I figure it out.  (Yes, I should be in the FBI with my investigating skills.) So I noticed that two of the guys were wearing t-shirts that said "nutshells". Naturally I grabbed my phone and started a google search.  I also asked them their first name...because I didn't want to be rude of course...which lead to me asking their last name. (Hello, I needed more info for my google search.) I saw something about Armored Nutshells.  So as soon as Laura was gone I tried asking questions.  In the beginning we tried to follow the rules a little bit by not asking questions, but that only lasted for about 10 minutes.  Listen, I hate not knowing what is going on.  I conveniently may have left my phone on the table with our Instagram pulled up.  I didn't want everyone feeling left out not knowing who we were.  

We did the shoot at the airport.  We got to meet Gil!! We LOVED him.  We had to ride in his truck, which was a little bit stressful if I'm being honest.  
1. NO SEATBELT.  What? I wear a seatbelt just to cross the parking lot.
2. There was literally a hole in the floor of the truck.  What if my foot fell through it?
3. The speedometer didn't work.  How in the world were we supposed to know if we were going a safe speed?

I voiced my concerns to Gil and he just laughed at me. So I had a very stressful ride.  Luckily Gil has such a strong accent I forgot I was nervous because I was trying so hard to understand what he was saying. Oh and the weather was beautiful!  Perfect weather!


We ended up driving to the shoot with a guy named Cary.  He owns Guns & Oil Brewing Co.  He knew everyone that was there.  He was a better investigator than me.  So I just asked him any details instead of wasting my time on Google.  He was a really cool guy and wasn't nervous at all.  Us on the other hand...well we were scaredy pants. We were so worried about what to say, we had practiced our numbers but we didn't know what to expect.  We had no idea if Butch and Rooster would be nice or jerks...who knows?! Luckily they were super nice.

Day 2. Got up early to shoot.  This time we went with Matt and Jeremy from Armored Nutshells.  They are a newer business and we had a good time talking to them about the whole startup process.  We spent an hour waiting in the minivan while they shot their interview. Next up...us. The weather was FREEZING. We were outside and I was wearing a lace shirt.  Just so you know, lace is not a warm shirt to wear on freezing days. I thought I might die.  I literally couldn't tell you anything that was said.  My only memory of this day was how bad my fingers hurt.  I couldn't wait to get back to our hotel and warm up.

On the way back to our hotel Angie and I asked the girl driving if we could quickly drive to Sam's club and grab a pizza to bring back and cook in our oven. I couldn't wait to just turn the oven on to heat up my hands! When we got to our hotel room I looked in the kitchen and what I thought was an oven turned out to be a dishwasher.  What the heck? How did I confuse a freaking dishwasher for an oven?  The good news is, Angie thought the same thing.  So we were both officially losing our minds...or as we like say, "making memories!" We ended up cooking/burning the pizza by pan frying it.  


Day 3. This is the day we were meeting the guys!  AHHH.  We were so nervous!  Laura kept calling us to move back the time.  It was getting later and later.  They eventually called to say we were going to have to wait another day.  I think this was the worst part.  We were so nervous we just wanted to get it over with.  I had a migraine the whole time, so I told Angie we needed to get a massage.  Angie has never gotten a massage so I assured her it would be the best money she's ever spent.  We found the nearest mall and they happened to have those people that massage you while sitting in a chair.  I thought that would be perfect since my headache was mainly caused from shoulder stress.  OH MY GOSH.  I have never been in so much pain.  The guy literally beat the shiz out of us.  I think I left bruised.  Angie said she was literally sore FROM the massage.  So I guess you could say that wasn't my best decision.  Oops.

Day 4. We were sore.  But no time to complain because we were meeting the guys!! We didn't get to go into the room where our bedding was so I was stressing about how it would look.  We got this sign made for the show that way it would be like built in advertising for us.  But it was too big and they made us get rid of it.  That was a couple thousand dollars down the drain.  What a bummer!
We met the guys.  They were awesome.  Rooster asked if Betsy was my real name...and teased me about it. Ha ha. I ran into the dang horns on the podium FOUR times.  How in the world does a person do that?  Apparently I have my mom's genes.  She runs into everything.  So I'm blaming her...and my nerves.  Butch looked at me and held up his 4 fingers and said "Four times, you have run into that thing FOUR times."  He was laughing so I guess I wasn't in too much trouble.  



The pitch went well. At least what I can remember of it.  When we were getting into the car, the producer came out to say goodbye.  He told us we probably wouldn't remember much...and he was SO RIGHT.  Can't remember anything! The good news is we have the episode and a few deleted scenes to help us remember what happened.  

One last thing I don't want to forget.  As we were getting on the plane at 6am to fly home I looked down at my hands and realized I left my wedding ring on the bathroom counter.  I called Laura as we were taxing to the runway and she told me she would take care of it.  I had to power down my phone and trust her.  I was SOOO nervous.  She sent me a text a few hours later saying it was on its way home.  I still love her for doing that.

Here are the links to the show and the deleted scenes.







And of course our website

No comments: